Firefighters attempt to contain the structural blaze Monday morning at the Skyline Truck Stop.

Firefighters unable to save Skyline Truck Stop

Fire crews from Malakwa, Sicamous and Swansea Point respond to Monday morning blaze at Craigellachie business.



A Craigellachie business landmark is no more.

Low lying cloud in the mountains of the Eagle Pass contrasted with the thick black smoke that filled the air Monday morning, Nov. 2, as firefighters engaged in an battle to keep the fire in the Skyline Truck Stop on the Trans-Canada Highway near the North Fork Bridge from spreading.

Firefighters were called to the scene shortly after 9 a.m., with the Malakwa department taking the lead and Sicamous and Swansea Point on mutual aid.

By mid-morning, any hope of saving the building had vanished. This left firefighters the task of ensuring the blaze was kept in hand.

“All they’re doing right now is protecting exposures and dealing with hazards and trying to keep a safe perimeter for the public,” commented Columbia Shuswap Fire Services Co-ordinator Kenn Mount. “We’re just dealing with the propane hazard and making sure the fuel is shut off properly,” said Mount

The fire is believed to have been caused by a space heater in an office on the second floor. From there, said Mount, the blaze spread quickly to the roof.

No one was reported to have been injured.

The News will provide more on this story as details become available.