Hank Shelley

COLUMN: Paper gone, electronics in

It was salmon season, and the mist drifted over the dark green waters of the Shuswap River’s corner pin pool.

Two lady anglers were called up off the rocks for a licence check. The one without her angling licence and salmon stamp giggled, squirmed and then fessed up – she didn’t have one.

Although federal fisheries officers deal with salmonids, pollution and habitat, they also help conservation officers on compliance and violations of anglers and hunters at road checks.

For the many years I helped the conservation officers (COs)checking hunters and anglers, there were small hints – like blood on a licence handed to you. Or a wet net when they said they had no fish in the boat.

The gal checked for an angling license and didn’t have one – with a woman, they’d never look you in the eye, or they’d look away, – whereas a guy would have at least dozen excuses while you wrote out the ticket.

Paper licences were basic, with info written down or (catch) recorded.

Now, to some of us older hunters and anglers, it’s hard to adjust to a changing world where at a click of a mouse a whole new world awaits – electronically that is. For many of us, it means a trip to the Access Centre (Front Counter BC) for a bit of help in applying for our Limited Entry Hunting (LEH) draws, or to obtain our new hunting license.

To start with, your paper booklet will no longer be used. When getting the new license, all information will be entered on your Fish and Wildlife profile. Only species licences will continue to be paper-based. If you don’t want to purchase on line, you can still go to a Service BC Center.

How will I provide proof to a CO that I have a licence?

Conservation officers will have access on their mobile devices to your Fish and Wildlife profile, licenses credentials and LEH.

You will have to carry your species licenses with you at all time when hunting. Each species license is good for one harvest only. Also, the species licence will not be canceled in the electronic system.

Hunters are still required to notch the paper species licence following the harvest of an animal. As mentioned, your hunting licence will be visible on your Fish and Wildlife profile. If you buy your licence at a vendor, or Access Center, you’ll be given a receipt that will include all licenses you have bought, including species licences.

The electronic world has hit us with a bang and is now speeding up with even greater technological advances.

For enforcement agencies, such as COs and federal fisheries enforcement units, if your name was Ron Smith, and you had a fisheries violation, we could bring your name up on our CEPIK and, in seconds, all the Smiths with violations, past and present, would appear on the screen. So your hunting profile will be on an app, on a computer, in a dark blue truck with conservation officer written on the side doors parked alongside the road.

For us old guys, we better adapt if we love the outdoors, or take up lawn bowling.

Just Posted

Families of missing Shuswap women call for action

Birthday of missing woman Ashley Simpson remembered during rally in Yankee Flats

Flag person struck by car

Highway 6 re-opened following five-hour closure

Missing woman smart, courageous, lovable

Mother says Caitlin Potts trying to overcome foster care experience

Silver Creek residents upset by proposed cuts to library hours

ORL says reduction would bring library service in line with other small communities.

Salmon Arm RCMP officers honoured for exceptional courage

Six policemen earn B.C.’s highest award for rescuing a suicidal man

100,000 bulbs shine bright for Lights of Hope

St. Paul’s Hospital in Vancouver launched its annual campaign to raise funds for equipment, research

‘No shirt, no service, no Canada’

Shirtless Tacoma man arrested after Canadian border officials say they found meth in rental vehicle

Nasty note on B.C. windshield sparks online outrage

Vernon’s Bailey McDonald is using a painful experience to start conversation about invisible illness

Federal funding to combat guns, gangs and opioid crisis

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said illicit drugs are often main cause of guns, gangs violence

Riverview youth mental health centre proceeds

Replacement for Maples Treatment Centre first announced in March

Dead boy’s father posts Facebook response after Appeal Court upholds conviction

David, Collet Stephan were found guilty in their son Ezekiel’s 2012 death from bacterial meningitis

Trudeau mania, Scheer enthusiasm in B.C. this week

Prime minister, Conservative leader drop in on Surrey, White Rock

Forecasters promote avalanche safety awareness to kick off season

Avalanche Canada advising backcountry enthusiasts to get proper training and equipment.

B.C. church defaced with disturbing anti-Christian graffiti

Staff at Crossroads United Church reported the vandalism to police late last week

Most Read