Salmon Arm firefighters respond to a report of a commercial structure fire in the 700 block of Lakeshore Drive. The business was evacuated due to smoke coming from the warehouse area in the rear of the building. (Lachlan Labere/Salmon Arm Observer)

UPDATE: Smoke the result of city sewer testing

Firefighters determine smoke coming from dried-out floor drain

Update, Jan. 31, 2:40 p.m.

While there was smoke, there was no fire.

Firefighters responding to a report of a commercial structure fire at the NuFloors building at 775 Lakeshore Drive had some good news for the business.

The smoke that had prompted the building’s evacuation Friday afternoon, Jan. 31, was related to the sewer system smoke testing being conducted by the city.

The City of Salmon Arm public works department confirmed Friday was the last day of testing. Advance notification of the testing was distributed to residences and businesses throughout the city.

The city’s website notes the smoke is harmless and dissipates quickly; however, it can activate smoke alarms.

Salmon Arm Fire Department deputy fire Gary Lebeter said the NuFloors staff did the right thing calling 911.

“When in doubt, call us out – that’s what the taxpayer is paying for and that’s what we’re here for,” said Lebeter, explaining the smoke entered the building through a dried floor drain.

“The P-trap inside the floor drain was dry of water so some of the smoke came out into the building,” said Lebeter. “What happens is people don’t realize that the P-traps will dry out and we’ve actually had calls in the past where they thought it was a natural gas leak but they were actually smelling the sewer.”

Lebeter added with some people will put olive or vegetable oil in P-traps located in areas where they don’t get water in them.

“It won’t evaporate and it just seals the odours from coming up,” said Lebeter.

As part of its smoke testing notification, the city advises to make sure all drain traps under basins, washing facilities and floor drains have water in them.

“If smoke enters your home or business during testing, you should try to monitor where it is coming from and open your windows,” states the city’s website. “You should then call a plumber; there is a strong possibility that there is a deficiency in your plumbing and that harmful sewer gases may be entering your building. If you are unsure whether the smoke is from our testing, you should call 911.”


@SalmonArm
newsroom@saobserver.net

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Original

Salmon Arm firefighters are currently responding to reports of a structure fire at the NuFloors building at 775 Lakeshore Drive SW.

Reports of smoke coming from an interior wall of the building were received at approximately 1 p.m., firefighters are reporting the building has been evacuated and the incident is being investigated.

So far, no open flames have been reported by firefighters, but smoke can be seen coming from inside the building.

An Observer reporter is heading to the scene, updates will be provided as more information is made available.

 

Just Posted

Salmon Arm pharmacies continue to experience flu vaccine shortage

One pharmacy has privately sourced vaccine in stock, available for purchase

Best in business: North-Okanagan Shuswap companies named top 10 semi-finalists

Small businesses from Salmon Arm, Vernon, Kelowna compete for top spot

White Lake firefighters go beyond call of duty with construction project

Storage shed built for sports equipment in South Shuswap park

Opening date for popular North Shuswap outdoor ice rink delayed

Warmer temperatures have pushed back the openings of several rinks in the region

New safety measures in place as snowmobile season gets underway in Sicamous

VHF radio channel posted at trailheads, assisted in rescue of stranded sledders

VIDEO: Success of wildlife corridors in Banff National Park has advocates wanting more

Demand for more highway protection escalated after seven elk were killed by a semi-trailer near Canmore

Column: Kid’s growing up fast on Old Town Road

In Plain View by Lachlan Labere

Fans sing Canadian anthem after sound system breaks at BMW IBSF World Cup

The Canadians in attendance made sure their team and flag were honoured on the podium

Frosty will have to pay rent to stay on Okanagan sidewalk next Christmas

Vernon Teach and Learn allowed to keep Frosty up, but will need a permit come January 1

Prince George RCMP use bait packages to catch porch pirates over the holidays

First-in-Canada program with Amazon looks to combat parcel theft

WATCH: Fire destroys Big White Ski Resort chalet

Social media eulogies peg the property, nicknamed “The Pharamacy,” as both loved and hated

Conservation officers on the hunt for North Okanagan moose poachers

Officers execute search warrant Friday morning, investigation continues

UPDATE: Highway 1 reopens after vehicle incident near Boston Bar

Initial reports of a jack-knifed semi truck had closed both directions of the highway

Nanaimo mechanical engineer creates thief tracking program

Nanaimo Thief Tracking lets users plot and share information about thefts online

Most Read