School smelly but students safe

Although some parents were worried, Interior Health says staff at Salmon Arm Secondary's Sullivan campus followed proper steps.

The odour of sewage tainted the air at Salmon Arm Secondary's Sullivan campus Tuesday.

It was stinky but it wasn’t dangerous.

That was the conclusion after the scent of sewage wafted through Salmon Arm Secondary’s Sullivan campus Tuesday.

Although some parents were concerned, particularly about the danger of gases produced by sewage, Dr. Kamran Golmohammadi, medical health officer for Interior Health, told the Observer the incident was handled correctly.

“It was brought to the attention of one of our environmental public health officers,” he said, who reviewed the situation and kept in communication with school officials.

“I don’t have any concerns with the way the case was handled.”

Golmohammadi noted, however, there is reason for concern when you smell such gases and, to complicate matters, there are toxic gases that have no odour.

“It’s a very combined and complex gas when you’re talking about sewer gas – it’s not one single agent or substance.”

In the case of the Sullivan campus, he said he understands it originated in an unused area. He explains that where plumbing is connected to the sewer, a level of water is kept in a U-shaped system called a P-trap.

“It’s a simple mechanism that keeps the sewer gas outside.”

When the water dries up in the trap, sometimes gas odours can be detected,” Golmohammadi said, noting gases such as hydrogen sulphide can be toxic and dangerous at certain concentrations.

The toxicity generally happens, however, in occupational settings where people are trapped in confined spaces with no circulation and a high concentration of the ingredient.

In a residence or school, he said, it’s not unusual for the cause of an odour to be the P-trap not working.

“Our advice would be to get in touch with the maintenance people and make sure the equipment is functioning and in good order,” he said, noting that circulation of air is important.

Many students left the school because of the smell.

Golmohammadi said people who are more sensitive might have a headache or irritation of the respiratory system.

Glenn Borthistle, superintendent of schools, said the district’s plumbers were called in and determined the dried traps were mostly likely the cause.

He said they tested for the presence of gases and found the school was safe.

The fire department was also called in and came up with the same conclusion.

Borthistle said principal Rob Macaulay spoke with an environmental health officer who confirmed the right steps were taken.

“It was an uncomfortable situation for sure but it was not unsafe,” said Borthistle.

The Snowball Dance that night was cancelled.

“Many students signed out that day because it was uncomfortable to be there, but while the smell was gone by noon, we thought, let’s not try to pull this together tonight.”

Overall, Borthistle said, “I’d like to express confidence in our operations staff, and how Mr. Macaulay approached the issue and made sure the building was safe.”

 

Just Posted

Okanagan weather watch: Snow on the way

Flurries have been predicted for most of the Okanagan Valley today

Have you heard the legend of Shuswaggi, the Shuswap Lake monster?

Witness accounts as old as 1904, and as recent as 2018, place a creature in the lake’s depths

Complex-care facility adds 60 long-term care beds

Mount Ida Mews hosts grand opening of second phase in Salmon Arm

UPDATE: One dead after crash on Highway 97A near Armstrong

Police have confirmed that one person is dead following an accident on Highway 97A Friday

National Energy Board approves Trans Mountain pipeline again

Next step includes cabinet voting on the controversial expansion

B.C. weavers to help Alaska Native project honouring survivors of violence

Dozens of Chilkat and Ravenstail weavers from all over North America will be weaving 5-inch-by-5-inch squares

B.C. skip Sarah Wark and team eliminated at Scotties Tournament of Hearts

Nontheless pretty impressive stuff from the 24th-ranked team in the country

Rescued Kelowna skier shares appreciation of COSAR team

A skier was found out of bounds near Big White by Central Okanagan Search and Rescue

Pope’s sex abuse prevention summit explained

It’s A high-stakes meeting designed to impress on Catholic bishops the global problem

UPDATE: B.C. ticket holder winner of $25.9-million Lotto Max jackpot

Next draw set for Mar. 1 with an estimated jackpot of $10 million

Girl heard saying ‘Help my Dad’ in suspicious radio message on Vancouver Island

Police asking for help following mysterious signals from somewhere between Comox and Sayward

Reports of rashes prompt closure of all Harrison Hot Springs pools

Public pool available after Fraser Health shut down all five mineral pools until further notice

No treatment for highly infectious measles, says doctor

10 cases of measles confirmed in Vancouver as of Friday

Most Read