Ronald Teneycke is escorted out of Penticton’s courthouse in 2017. (Western News file photo)

South Okanagan dangerous offender back in court

Administrative error has led to more court time being used up in Penticton

A South Okanagan dangerous offender will have to listen to a judge’s sentencing for a second time after an administrative error has led to more court time being used up.

Ronald Arthur Teneycke, who has a long history with the law, appeared via video from the Kent Institution on Wednesday to deal with a charge of failing to comply with a no contact order with Wayne Belleville — the Oliver man he shot while posing as a hitchhiker on Baldy Mountain Service Road during a five-day manhunt for Teneycke in 2015.

READ MORE: Administrative error results in do-over for South Okanagan dangerous offender’s trial

Teneycke entered a guilty plea on Wednesday, admitting to sending Belleville a card and letter (delivered in the mail from the prison) just before Christmas of 2018. While Teneycke also submitted a charter of rights application, he ultimately pleaded guilty to the charge.

READ MORE: South Okanagan man ‘elated’ at criminal’s indefinite sentence

He first appeared before the court on this matter in April and stated he was going to plead guilty but claimed to have no knowledge that he was not to contact Belleville. Because of that, the judge would not accept his plea, asked for the matter to return to court and suggested that Teneycke seek council from a lawyer. On May 22 Teneycke appeared before the court and said he did recall the no-contact order and the Judge Michelle Danyluk read his sentence. However, that wouldn’t be the end to the matter as it was completely struck from the record.

READ MORE: South Okanagan man pleads guilty to shooting

“I was dismissed, sent back to my cell, and then I was called back about 10 or 15 minutes later and the judge had said there was an administrative error and that there was no plea actually entered and they wanted me to enter a plea of guilty. But I was, in fact, sentenced,” said Teneycke, who added by that point he wanted to speak to a lawyer because the whole thing didn’t feel right with him.

This lead to the charge being in front of a judge or judicial case manager four or five more times before Teneycke entered his guilty plea at the courthouse on Wednesday. Crown had been seeking a nine month sentence that would be concurrent with his indefinite sentence which was the result of pleading guilty to charges related to a crime spree where he shot Belleville, robbed a convenience store, went on a lengthy police chase where they fired eight shots at his vehicle and rammed it in an orchard bringing it to a stop.

Teneycke told the judge he will be asking for some leniency because of the “abuse of process.”

The matter will now go before a judicial case manager next week to fix a date for sentencing. Judge Jane Cartwright believed there would need about one hour of court time to deal with the sentencing and to dismiss Teneycke’s charter of rights application, which she admitted to forgetting to dismiss during this court session.

To report a typo, email: editor@keremeosreview.com.


@KeremeosReview
editor@keremeosreview.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Sniffing out options for expansion of Salmon Arm’s sewage treatment plant

Public presented with nine site possibilities at open house, feedback to help narrow options

Video: Shuswap man narrowly avoids accident on Highway 1

Dash camera video clearly records sounds of burning rubber during abrupt stop

Railway carried mail, circus animals and royalty to Salmon Arm

By Deborah Chapman Contributor Imagine how excited the community was when Charles… Continue reading

Ongoing support of Shuswap hospital earns platinum honour

Shuswap Lake Health-Care Auxiliary recognized for more than $45,000 in donations

Word on the street: What establishment would you like to see built on the prior 7-Eleven lot?

Sparked by recent discussion on social media, the Observer took to the… Continue reading

VIDEO: Minister reports ‘modest progress’ after blockade talks with First Nation

Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs say Coastal GasLink does not have authority to go through their lands

Henrique scores 2 as Ducks soar past Canucks 5-1

Vancouver tumbles out of top spot in Pacific Division

Trudeau cancels Caribbean trip amid pipeline protests across Canada

Protests against Coastal GasLink have disrupted rail service

B.C. VIEWS: Inaction on pipeline protests not a viable response

Columnist Frank Bucholtz on how the Coastal GasLink pipeline dispute got so bad

PHOTOS: Top 10 memories of the 2010 Olympics

Black Press Media’s Jenna Hauck, shares some of her most memorable images of 2010 Winter Games

#FoxForFiver: Support grows in B.C. to put Terry Fox on new $5 bill

Terry Fox’ Marathon of Hope raised money for cancer research

Registration opens soon for BC 55+ Games in Richmond

2020 55+ Games have been officially scheduled for Sept. 15 to 19

Trudeau confers with cabinet ministers as rail blockades continue

The Trudeau government has been criticized for not doing more to end the blockades

Canadian nurses’ unions warn national standards for coronavirus protection too low

President says safety protocols nationwide are inadequate compared to those in Ontario and other countries

Most Read