history

The Children’s Museum and Discovery Centre at R.J. Haney Heritage Village & Museum opened on July 30, 2021. (Zachary Roman/Salmon Arm Observer)

VIDEO: Children’s Museum and Discovery Centre opens in Salmon Arm

The centre opened at R.J. Haney Heritage Village & Museum on July 30

 

Denis Marshall writes, “M.A. Gillis’ Shuswap Lake Boat Livery, based at Sicamous, was one of the area’s earliest and best-known fishing and sightseeing operations. Taken about 1926, the accompanying photo shows a party about to board the Tourist which was the last word in comfort and seaworthiness.” Image from the Denis Marshall Collection and courtesy June Gillis Johnson in care of the archives at  R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum.

Shuswap history in pictures: Shuswap Lake Boat Livery

A party readies to board the Tourist, “the last word in comfort and seaworthiness.”

  • Jul 27, 2021

 

Left to right – Jok (younger brother to Fee), Quentin (Fee’s son), Fee (older brother to Jok), May (Jok’s daughter) and Henry (Fee’s son). (Contributed)

Westside founding family donates temporary parkland to West Kelowna

The Mar family has a long history in the Central Okanagan

 

Bill Merilees, a retired B.C. Parks regional information officer, collected mollusk shells from B.C. and Washington state coastlines for 50 years and has donated his 140,000-specimen collection to University of British Columbia’s Beaty Biodiversity Museum. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)

VIDEO: B.C. man donates 140,000 mollusk specimens to biodiversity museum

UBC’s Beaty museum grateful for Bill Merilees’s historical record of B.C. marine biodiversity

Bill Merilees, a retired B.C. Parks regional information officer, collected mollusk shells from B.C. and Washington state coastlines for 50 years and has donated his 140,000-specimen collection to University of British Columbia’s Beaty Biodiversity Museum. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)
People gather at McGuire’s Grove, located approximately where the Prestige Harbourfront Inn is today. This undated image is from the Claire Carlin collection. We know cricket, tennis, lacrosse and other games were played in July and August, but the grounds were likely too wet in June! What was the occasion? Image courtesy the archives room at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum.

History in pictures

Shuswap history in pictures: Gathering at McGuire’s Grove

  • Jul 13, 2021
People gather at McGuire’s Grove, located approximately where the Prestige Harbourfront Inn is today. This undated image is from the Claire Carlin collection. We know cricket, tennis, lacrosse and other games were played in July and August, but the grounds were likely too wet in June! What was the occasion? Image courtesy the archives room at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum.
Captain James Cook statue splashes into Victoria’s Inner Harbour, after being removed from its upper causeway pedestal on July 1. (@CJusticeVic/Twitter)

Cast in bronze, then into Victoria’s Inner Harbour: So who was James Cook?

Likeness of British maritime explorer commissioned in 1976, forcibly removed on July 1

Captain James Cook statue splashes into Victoria’s Inner Harbour, after being removed from its upper causeway pedestal on July 1. (@CJusticeVic/Twitter)
What a proud moment! Pictured left to right are George, Gordon, Louise, Robert, Art, and Sid Iwata. According to history buff Denis Marshall, the children were among thousands “removed” from the Coast at the onset of the Pacific War when residents of Japanese ancestry were deemed security threats. Their parents operated a berry farm on the old Suckling place on Merton Hill (Okanagan Ave.), but returned to Vancouver about 1950. This photograph was taken in 1942. Image courtesy Mike Nakagawa and the Denis Marshall Collection from the archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum.

Shuswap history in pictures: The Iwata children

What a proud moment! Pictured left to right are George, Gordon, Louise,…

  • Jul 5, 2021
What a proud moment! Pictured left to right are George, Gordon, Louise, Robert, Art, and Sid Iwata. According to history buff Denis Marshall, the children were among thousands “removed” from the Coast at the onset of the Pacific War when residents of Japanese ancestry were deemed security threats. Their parents operated a berry farm on the old Suckling place on Merton Hill (Okanagan Ave.), but returned to Vancouver about 1950. This photograph was taken in 1942. Image courtesy Mike Nakagawa and the Denis Marshall Collection from the archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum.
Who is going to win? A group of children playing tug of war in an orchard in the 1920s. Hopefully they stay clean. 
(Photo from the Ball collection provided courtesy the R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum archives)

Shuswap history in pictures: Tug-of-war

Who is going to win? A group of children playing tug-a-war in…

  • Jun 30, 2021
Who is going to win? A group of children playing tug of war in an orchard in the 1920s. Hopefully they stay clean. 
(Photo from the Ball collection provided courtesy the R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum archives)
The Kamloops Indian Residential School circa 1930. (Archives Deschâtelets-NDC, Richelieu)
The Kamloops Indian Residential School circa 1930. (Archives Deschâtelets-NDC, Richelieu)
The Pierre family, an Indigenous family, once lived in what is now downtown Summerland. Today, Pierre Drive is named in honour of the family. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Pierre family played role in Summerland’s history

Downtown Summerland was once Penticton Indian Reserve #3

The Pierre family, an Indigenous family, once lived in what is now downtown Summerland. Today, Pierre Drive is named in honour of the family. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Gwen Spencer Hethey with her uncle and mentor Major Frederick Richardson. (Courtesy of Greater Victoria Sports Hall of Fame)

‘She was a killer’: The B.C. woman who pioneered female sharpshooting

Gwen Spencer Hethey made military men ‘look like turkeys’ says her son

Gwen Spencer Hethey with her uncle and mentor Major Frederick Richardson. (Courtesy of Greater Victoria Sports Hall of Fame)
(Courtesy Photo | Frank Zmuda)

Beaver secretion found as part of ancient throwing dart in Yukon

Researchers saying it’s earliest known evidence of Indigenous peoples using the substance

(Courtesy Photo | Frank Zmuda)
The Stephane (right) and the tug MPF (left), with a turbine destined for the Mica Dam, battle the current of the Thompson River near Monte Creek. Shuswap Lake Ferry Service handled the move from Savona to Old Town in Sicamous in June 1975. Image from the Denis Marshall Collection and courtesy the Salmon Arm Museum at R.J. Haney Heritage Village.

Shuswap history in pictures: Turbine up the Thompson

Turbine moved up river for Mica Dam

  • Jun 11, 2021
The Stephane (right) and the tug MPF (left), with a turbine destined for the Mica Dam, battle the current of the Thompson River near Monte Creek. Shuswap Lake Ferry Service handled the move from Savona to Old Town in Sicamous in June 1975. Image from the Denis Marshall Collection and courtesy the Salmon Arm Museum at R.J. Haney Heritage Village.
In 1906, provincial reports indicated potential mining of lead, silver, copper and gold near what is now the Summerland Rodeo Grounds . Mining began in 1911 funded by investors Frank Osler, R.H. Agur, Cuthbert Fetherstonhaugh and miner Tom Kelly. Yields were small and the mine was abandoned. (Photograph courtesy of Andrew Holder)

Mine remnants can be seen in Summerland

Mining operation near Summerland Rodeo Grounds began in 1906

In 1906, provincial reports indicated potential mining of lead, silver, copper and gold near what is now the Summerland Rodeo Grounds . Mining began in 1911 funded by investors Frank Osler, R.H. Agur, Cuthbert Fetherstonhaugh and miner Tom Kelly. Yields were small and the mine was abandoned. (Photograph courtesy of Andrew Holder)
This photos is believed to have been taken in the 1920s. Who are the bathing beauties? Email archives@salmonarmuseum.org if you know. Image from the Ball collection and courtesy the Archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum

Shuswap history in pictures: Bathing beauties

Photo believed taken in the 1920s.

  • Jun 7, 2021
This photos is believed to have been taken in the 1920s. Who are the bathing beauties? Email archives@salmonarmuseum.org if you know. Image from the Ball collection and courtesy the Archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum
A protester swings a hammer in an attempt to remove the head of the Egerton Ryerson statue in Toronto on Sunday June 6, 2021. A much-maligned statue of Egerton Ryerson was toppled in Toronto on Sunday. The statue, prominently displayed on the campus of Ryerson University, has come under renewed scrutiny after the discovery in Kamloops, B.C., of what are believed to be the remains of 215 Indigenous children at a former residential school. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

Beheaded statue of Egerton Ryerson, toppled Sunday in Toronto, won’t be replaced

Ryerson is credited as one of the architects of Canada’s residential school system

A protester swings a hammer in an attempt to remove the head of the Egerton Ryerson statue in Toronto on Sunday June 6, 2021. A much-maligned statue of Egerton Ryerson was toppled in Toronto on Sunday. The statue, prominently displayed on the campus of Ryerson University, has come under renewed scrutiny after the discovery in Kamloops, B.C., of what are believed to be the remains of 215 Indigenous children at a former residential school. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young
Cultivating Safe Spaces workshop facilitator, public speaker and author Elaine Alec hosts online forums through the Greater Vernon Museum and Archives. (Contributed)

Timely exhibit puts Indigenous history in North Okanagan spotlight

Cultivating Safe Spaces workshop and Legacy of Hope exhibit at museum

Cultivating Safe Spaces workshop facilitator, public speaker and author Elaine Alec hosts online forums through the Greater Vernon Museum and Archives. (Contributed)
Salmon Arm High School class of 1915 or 1916 taken at high water at the wharf. What is the special occasion?  Our students are unidentified. Can you help? Email the archives@salmonarmmuseum.org. Image from the Denis Marshall collection in the Archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum.

Shuswap history in pictures: Grad of 1915 – or 1916

Can you identify any of the people in this picture?

  • May 31, 2021
Salmon Arm High School class of 1915 or 1916 taken at high water at the wharf. What is the special occasion?  Our students are unidentified. Can you help? Email the archives@salmonarmmuseum.org. Image from the Denis Marshall collection in the Archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum.
The earliest record of wine production in the Okanagan Valley dates back to Father Pandosy’s Okanagan Mission in 1859. Today, the wine industry represents an important part of the British Columbia economy. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

British Columbia wine industry began in 1850s

Father Pandosy’s Okanagan Mission produced wine in 1859

The earliest record of wine production in the Okanagan Valley dates back to Father Pandosy’s Okanagan Mission in 1859. Today, the wine industry represents an important part of the British Columbia economy. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Mt. Ida District farmer Arthur Adair Brooke dries while his daughter Ruth washes buckets, utensils and parts of his cream separator used to process cow’s milk.Brooke recreated scenes like these in lovely watercolours that can be found in the archives at the R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum. Circa 1927, photographer unknown. Courtesy of the Archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum.

Shuswap history in pictures: Dish washers

Mt. Ida District farmer Arthur Adair Brooke and daughter Ruth

  • May 25, 2021
Mt. Ida District farmer Arthur Adair Brooke dries while his daughter Ruth washes buckets, utensils and parts of his cream separator used to process cow’s milk.Brooke recreated scenes like these in lovely watercolours that can be found in the archives at the R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum. Circa 1927, photographer unknown. Courtesy of the Archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum.