Good Samaritans prevent house fire in Salmon Arm

What might have been a disastrous fire was doused by quick-thinking passersby.

Two Good Samaritans stopped a potentially disastrous fire from spreading.

Salmon Arm Staff Sgt. Kevin Keane reports that Sicamous Sgt. Carl Vinet was travelling along Auto Road in Salmon Arm in the early hours of Wednesday, Feb. 8, when he saw open flames at a residence.

Two males, passing by at the same time, quickly used two fire extinguishers to douse the blaze before it could spread. The residents sleeping inside the home were alerted and the fire department summoned. Satisfied the fire was out, the Good Samaritans, whose names aren’t known, and Vinet left.

“Later investigation into the fire revealed that the homeowner had cleaned his fireplace the previous night and placed the ashes into a five-gallon pail,” wrote Keane in a press release. The ashes melted through the pail, and eventually ignited the wood deck and patio door of the house.

Damage to the residence is estimated at $3,000.

States Keane: “Given the early morning hours, the residents inside the home were asleep. There is little doubt that without the quick thinking and action of the Good Samaritans, there was potential for loss of life.”